Friday 28 August 2009

My Arrest and Release

I had another brush with Nigerian security agents on wednesday 26th August, 2009 and below are some of the reports about my arrest and release.
My record is gradually increasing...6 arrests by the Police and 3 arrests by the State Security Service...still counting

PM NEWS REPORT

BBC Reporter Arrested, Freed
August 27, 2009 15:37, 511 views

By Paul Dada

A British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) reporter, Fidelis Mbah, has explained how he was arrested and later freed by officers of the State Security Service, SSS.

The Nigerian-born Mbah was arrested at the VIP Lounge Press Centre of the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Ikeja, while doing a live telephone interview with the BBC’s London office.

According to him, “SSS detained me today at the airport for about an hour. They claimed I was not authorised to gain access to the VIP lounge press centre at the airport. I was doing a live phone interview with my London studio when they ordered me to stop and locked me inside their office. They seize my phone and ID card and threatened to take me to Shangisha.”

Mbah said it was after the intervention of some journalists, who pleaded with the SSS men, that he was released.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/08/27/bbc-reporter-arrested-freed

----------

IT WAS ALSO PUBLISHED BY www.pointblanknews.com

Date Published: 08/26/09

BBC Reporter detained in Lagos


Fidelis Mba, a reporter with the British Broadcasting Service was today arrested and detained for several hours by the State Security Operatives, SSS, in Lagos.

Mba who was conducting an interview at the VIP wing of the Lagos Airport was almost wisked away to Shangisha, the dreaded detention camp used to torture journalists and pro democracy activists by the late General Sanni Abacha.

He was later released after scores of journalist pleaded on his behalf. His identification card and other valuables were seized.

http://pointblanknews.com/os2078.html

No comments: