Wednesday 9 April 2008

Unlimited Corruption

Each day i pick up the Nigerian dailies am conronted with reports bothering on corruption. This has not really bothered me so much cos this is not the first time am reading reports bothering on allegations of corruption.
But the most disturbing aspect is that corruption seems to have come to stay; now a societal norm. Or else how can you explain why people see cheating as a way of life...nobody seems to listen whenever people complain of being cheated.
I was at the Lagos airport to purchase a flight ticket for a friend going to Port Harcourt and armed with my N16,000 i was i will get a seat. I was astonished when the passenger before me was asked to pay extra N1000 and she did without complaining. When it got to my turn, the cashier asked me to pay N20,000 and get a receipt of N16,000 or else i wont get a ticket. I was astonished and attempted to create a scene there but no one cared to listen. While i was still complaining the passenger next to me paid N20,000 and got a receipt of N16,000 cos he wants to 'meet up with his appointment'.
I had no choice than to leave the counter and head for another airline where i eventually got a ticket at the right price but had to pay the price for not 'cooperating' by wasting 2 hours before my friend's flight took off a few minutes ago.
Am writing this piece from the local wing of Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos, and i wish i can ask all passnegers on the queue to purchase tickets can log in and read my blog lines.
Am ashamed that this chronic problem (corruption) has continued to defy all forms of solutions.
Where do we go from here?

No comments: