Friday 11 January 2008

Militarised Democracy

I was yesterday arrested and detained by some overzealous security officers attached to the official residence of Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala of Oyo State. I was picked up along with the Ibadan correspondent of Silverbird/Rhythm FM, Tade Oludayo, for daring to go close to the controversial statue of the unknown soldier. The unknown soldiers statute was erected after that of late sage, Obafemi Awolowo was demolished.
I had no business with their intra-state politics over the disputed statue as i was merely out there to do a balanced report for my organisation but i was suprised when security officials accosted me and my colleague, arrested us, got us detained and interogated us harshly.
Most suprising was comments by the guard commander of the security officials who wondered why his colleagues did not 'open fire' (shoot) when they saw us walk close to the cenotaph. The guard commander also threatened to order us to be thoroughly beaten. The cenotaph is metres away from the government house.
I had to exploit all my 'powerful' contacts before the ADC to the governor (Salami) came to our rescue.
It's suprising that confirmation of reports has become a criminal offence. My explanation to the security officials that i had secured permission from the governor's ofice fell on deaf ears and they were hell-bent on making me and my colleague, whom i had engaged as my guide, to pay for our 'sins'.
Below are links to some newspaper reports about the incident in today's newspapers.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=100117

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200801111424129

http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=117&a=8863

http://www.tribune.com.ng/11012008/news/news12.html

2 comments:

Juliana said...

Fidelis,
Well that is the mentality we have in this country.
Even with Gov's office approval you were still mishandled? What do u expect from a state where we have garrison commander?
We just thank God they did not shoot sha becos na man wey dey alive they give evidence.
Do not be deterred continue to do your balanced report.

Unknown said...

My Brother:
No shaking as Tface would say. Been there, seen it, felt it and today I am strong and determined to fight on without a gun but with the pen I have been equipped with. Carry go, going on soun don't mind the Akala's Zombies. Soon, he would be booted out!